Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Age is a measurement, not a definition.

"Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense
Or that everybody's on the stage and your the only person sitting in the audience."

Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day, Jethro Tull.

As we get older it becomes increasingly easy to sit in the audience and watch life pass by.  But it is a lonely, isolated place. It is no place who have been through as much as we have to stay. Yes, the aches and pains of life weigh on us, and it so comfortable and easy to watch. But, it is not our place to be. Leave it for the lethargic. We have life to live.

Last January I started going to a small gym, equipped and staffed by the YMCA. It was in the building where my wife worked so I was allowed to use it for free.

It was pretty crowded, but . January is a boon for gyms. Resolutions, and promises and cold drive people to exercise. By February, though, on many days it had become the Tim Clark Memorial Gym, and I had the place to myself, more or less. And, I had the stage to myself.

I tried all of the machines, and weights. It was great, and things were going well. But, it was still just a distraction, or hobby, and the progress was limited. But, I found this blog, and started using the techniques, and following the advice. It was trans-formative. It was like turning on a switch.

In April I had a doctor's appointment, and my cholesterol was reduced, and my blood pressure was
perfect. My doctor was so happy, thrilled, and he asked me how I felt.  I told him it was the best I had felt in years. I was a changed man, truly.

Many of his patients won't exercise, he said, because of sore knees, or stiff backs, and he could not convince them that starting would cure some of the minor, common ailments of aging.

Since then situations have forced me to join the YMCA, and pay, but it is worth it. Starting to exercise was the best decision I had made in years. At first it was difficult and it took real will power, but in a short time the benefits and feelings it provided made it a pleasure, and the post workout euphoria made it a joy.

Your job is to get out of the audience, join us on the stage, get on the treadmill, grab a kettle ball, some dumbbells, move, dance, lift, live. You will never regret the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment